Making your home LOOK PRETTY can actually make it look clean. In a pinch, you can cheat and skip the cleaning.
So, let’s say your mother-in-law just called. She is on her way and your house is a mess. What do you do? Don’t even think of cleaning, going through your mail, doing laundry or changing the linen. You are on speed mode. Unless you live in the Taj Mahal, the next eight steps will get your home pretty and guest-ready in 20 minutes.
1. Spend the first two minutes meditating to quiet your mind. Next, turn on your favorite dancing tunes and GO!
2. Grab a laundry basket and a plastic garbage bag. You will start from the bedroom(s). Make the beds, do not change the linens.
While in the bedroom, pick up any clothes from the floor and the chair. Do not spend a minute analyzing what’s clean or what’s dirty; it ALL goes in the hamper. Before you leave each bedroom, empty the garbage from all the garbage bins. Don’t forget to put toys, shoes and books in the closet. Leave nothing on the floor.
3. Bathrooms are next. Collect ALL clothes and towels on the floor and throw them in the laundry basket, put the laundry basket in the laundry room and close the door. While in the bathroom(s), neatly fold clean towels and empty the garbage bins.
4. In your travels toward the family room, place any clothes of any kind in the laundry basket. Hang jackets/winter coats in the coat closet.
5. In the Family Room, empty the garbage first. Next, pick-up any dirty plates, glasses, magazines/daily paper and move them all in the kitchen. Fluff the sofa pillows and fold any blankets. Turn on the lights. Leave nothing on the floor or anything on a horizontal surface that doesn’t belong there.
6. Once in the kitchen make sure there are no dishes/pots in the sink and the table is clear from all dishes and food. Load and turn on the dishwasher or hand-wash all dirty dishes. Wipe the table clean. Make sure your cat’s litter box and pet dishes are clean!
7. Take all the garbage and recyclables outside. Don’t leave any trash or empty cans lying around.
8. Pour yourself a tall glass of iced tea and take a seat. You just made your home pretty in less than 20 minutes and didn’t need to clean or organize a thing. Congratulations!
To motivate yourself invite family and friends often. Try the 20-minute Pretty Home Routine before their arrival. You'll be on your way to a clean and organized home. The eight steps are easy, quick and very doable. Once you see the results you will be inspired to do more, such as clean your pretty home, scrub the insides of the fridge or even organize your closet! You are the most frequent and important guest in your home, so make it look Pretty Every Day!
Come join me on the Step-by-Step, Task-at-a-Time clean strategy for your home. It will be oodles of fun!
Keep it Clean! :)