Before we start talking about the actual step-by-step cleaning of your home, let’s decide who will be doing the routine/weekly cleaning. Are you the chosen one? Do you need to hire someone to do the dirty work?
Let's talk about the pros and cons of cleaning yourself versus hiring someone. The obvious fact is that very few people enjoy cleaning. You may be the exception. Indeed, it's a chore. You need to motivate yourself and your family. Here are a few motivational mantras.
Reasons to clean your house yourself
1. Cleaning is great exercise! Today we spend long stretches of time sitting in the office at home and in traffic! Cleaning gets us off the chair and on the road to burning calories. ‘Exerclean’ is a triple win, helping you to live in a clean home while creating a trimmer, healthier you! 2. Involving the family every Saturday morning to clean house can become a great family tradition! Plus, the competence children will have later in life starts right now at home. Knowing how to clean is a necessary life skill. Children as little as two years old can participate. You can have them separate the laundry or teach them how to fold it. These seemingly mundane tasks are life lessons that teach respect and responsibility that will last a lifetime.
3. Privacy matters a great deal to all of us. Your home is your castle, your private space. If you clean your own home, you maintain that exclusivity for you and your family. Be prepared to make changes if you will be hiring outside help.
4. Finally, you may say, "Nobody does it better than me!" And you're right. Who knows your home better than you do? And who will care more about Grandma’s heirloom Doulton tea set, or know about the loose nail holding your cat painting in the living room? These are all things you might want to consider before hiring someone else to clean and maintain your home.
Reasons to hire someone else to clean your home
1. Time is what we lack today. If you landed your dream job in the city and have to commute a few hours each way, or are a stay-at-home parent overwhelmed with responsibilities, you may need to consider delegating the housework to a professional. Your time is valuable, and you may not want to spend it cleaning.
2. Just like any job, cleaning is a profession and requires knowledge and expertise. A skilled professional can do it faster and better. If you can afford it, hiring a professional can let you live in a cleaner environment without the chore of a routine cleaning, leaving you with time to spend with the family relaxing by the beach all Saturday!
You know your cleaning needs in the home front. Your weekly routine cleaning can be delegated to a professional, but the daily cleaning/pick-up is for all of us to do DAILY (with the exception of the Queen of England!).
When you are hiring a professional, there are many factors that you may need to take into account. We will discuss them next.
Keep it Clean! :)